Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Shape of Things to Come...in 2015


2014, a busy year in my world, seems to have passed in a about a half-hour or less, and now 2015 is at the door. Here's what my crystal ball predicts may be in store for me on the classic film front in the new year...

 

Film Noir

Noir City 13 (the 13th annual film noir festival) in San Francisco is set to begin on January 16th and run through the 25th. This year's theme is 'Til Death do us Part  and 25 noir/near-noir/noirish films "depicting the darker side of marriage" will screen at the city's historic Castro Theatre. Check the full program here to find out what's on the bill for San Francisco - and get a glimpse of what films will screen at Noir City events in Los Angeles, Seattle, Chicago and elsewhere later in 2015. This entertaining promotional trailer - made earlier this year - will show you what the Noir festival is all about:



Film Series at the Symphony

In June the San Francisco Symphony announced a new season series, its second, of film screenings.  The films presented are shown with scores performed live by the symphony. Having attended the symphony's presentations of Casablanca and Vertigo, I can tell you it's an amazing experience.


In just two weeks, on Friday night, January 9, the symphony will introduce the U.S. premiere of Francis Coppola's The Godfather with live orchestral accompaniment. To watch Coppola's great masterpiece once again and to hear Nino Rota's magnificent score performed by the San Francisco symphony is an experience I wouldn't miss. A second performance is set for Saturday evening, January 10.

For more information on the San Francisco Symphony's 2014/2015 film series, click here


TCM Classic Film Festival 2015

Spanning four days, March 26 - 29, and held "in the heart of Hollywood," this year's ultimate classic film festival will focus on History According to Hollywood. Through this theme the festival aims to "explore how cinema has shaped how we view, and remember, history." Everything there is to know about the event can be found here.

The 2014 festival was one of the highlights of my year, far exceeding very high expectations.  There were the films - many of them recent restorations, the stars-in-person (Maureen O'Hara, Shirley Jones, Kim Novak, Jerry Lewis), Club TCM, where countless special events were held, and the classic film community itself, people from all over the world who deeply love and know the classics. It was wonderfully overwhelming. TCMFF, I discovered, is more than an annual event, it's an annual pilgrimage.

Comic-Con 2015, July 9 - 12

Comic-Con International 2015

Honestly,  until a year or so ago I had no idea what "Comic-Con" was other than some sort of comic book-related convention. And since I haven't read a comic book for a few decades, I paid little attention. However...

I recently learned that writer/director/producer Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone), a Comic-Con favorite, will be in San Diego this summer to promote his upcoming thriller, Crimson Peak. The film, described as "half turn-of-the-century romance, half Gothic nightmare" is inspired in part, they say, by classics like Hitchcock's Rebecca (1940) and Jack Clayton's The Innocents (1961), two genre favorites of my own. Del Toro's new dark, sexy tale of terror stars some of the very best actors of a new generation - and it's rumored they'll be at Comic-Con with him: Tom Hiddleston, Mia Wasikowska and Jessica Chastain. The film is scheduled for release in October 2015.

Comic-Con sells out instantaneously so I may miss out, but even if I do, I'll be closely following reports on the event and news about Del Toro's enthusiastically awaited Crimson Peak.


The Blog

Plans for other posts-in-the-works here at Reel Life for 2015 are a little more sketchy, though I'm toying with changing the blog's name to Reel Happiness (what do you think?). I'm hoping to do a series on film composers and to finally follow up with a second installment in the Roman à clef series I began in March with All About Eve...and Margo (much gratitude and many thanks to Classic Movie Blog Assn. members for voting it a CiMBA Award for "best drama review" this year). I'm also in the early planning stages with my friend and much-admired fellow blogger Christian Esquevin of Silver Screen Modes on a blogathon we'll be co-hosting sometime in the new year.

14 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome 2015 for the Lady Eve. As for the name change - well, who can argue with happiness? I eagerly await to see what you and Christian have cooked up - it can only be the most-est. Wishing you all the best in 2015, my friend (and looking forward to a meet at the festival).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More news to come on the blogathon - as soon as there is more to tell, Chick. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  2. I envy you that you can attend the Noir City festivals on the West coast; I fervently hope they come to the East coast soon. The programs always look fascinating, highlighting some more obscure but worthwhile noirs. Am also looking forward to your blogathon announcement. Best for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a Noir City in DC, but not sure of other cities/venues. It's a lot of fun and I'm sure the festival would be a hit along the East Coast. Wishing you a great 2015!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fascinating and full year ahead. Looking forward to hearing your reports from the front lines. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like the new name, I like the new name. Wonderful things in store for the year! I agree that 2014 passed way too quickly. Let's hope 2015 slows down a bit so we can fully enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be thrilled if 2015 would proceed at the pace of a snail...

      Best to you in the new year!

      Delete
  5. I like The Lady Eve's Reel Life and wouldn't change it. Looking forward to your 2015 projects--your blogathon with Christian is bound to be first-class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned, I was "toying" with the idea but decided against it. I can always change the name of my mini-blog on Wordpress to "Reel Happiness" - probably will. Hope 2015 is good to you - and to Toto - Rick!

      Delete
  6. If you manage to get a ticket to Comic Con, Eve, I hope you don't mind crowds and long lines, I hear it's a wild experience. Guillermo Del Toro's "Crimson Peak" is at the top of my list for new films for 2015, for all the reasons you gave. Del Toro is not only an expert on the gothic horror genre, but he's an expert on Hitchcock, too - he's taught classes and written extensively on the master. As you said, when it comes to contemporary film actors, it really is a dream cast. I expect an amazing visual feast. I consider both "Pan's Labryinth" and "The Devil's Backbone" to be modern masterpieces, and this is in a similar mode, except it's in english, not spanish, and it has a much larger budget. A very knowing choice on your part - classic AND contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I would really like is a press pass and access to Comic Con. We'll see.

      Really looking forward to "Crimson Peak." I'm sure it will be a contemporary classic and, eventually, just plain "classic."

      Delete
  7. I'm with Rick. As much as I like "Reel Happiness" I prefer "The Lady Eve's Reel Life".

    Thanks for posting the video re: SF Film Noir Festival. It looks amazing!

    Also, looking forward to the blogathon news. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog will remain "Reel Life," but my other (little) blog will probably get the new moniker. The Noir City festivals are always a lot of fun and very well staged. Hope there is one in your area (are you anywhere near Chicago or DC?).

      Delete