Monday, March 24, 2014

APRIL IN HOLLYWOOD


GETTING READY FOR THE 2014 TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL

The full schedule of screenings and events set for TCM’s 5th annual classic film festival had just posted on the network’s website and I was eager to see what the four days and nights from April 10 – 13 have in store. As I scrolled through the listings for each day, I began feeling a little panicky. So many choices and so little time! To quote Holly Golightly out of context, “I must say, the mind reels!”

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) screens on April 11
Twenty-five (count 'em) "Essentials" are on the bill, including American Graffiti (1973), The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), Double Indemnity (1944), Gone with the Wind (1939), A Hard Day's Night (1964), Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936), Stagecoach (1939), The Thin Man (1934), The Wizard of Oz (1939) and The Women (1939). In addition, 2014's roster of special guests will include Alec Baldwin, Mel Brooks, Tim Conway, Richard Dreyfuss, directors William Friedkin and Norman Jewison, composer Quincy Jones, Shirley Jones, Jerry Lewis, Kim Novak, Margaret O'Brien, Maureen O'Hara, Ryan O'Neal, Paula Prentiss, Jane Seymour and composer John Williams.

How Green was My Valley (1941) screens April 12 - Maureen O'Hara appears in person
And among films on the festival's "Discoveries" program are Tod Browning's Freaks (1932), The Great Gatsby (1949), starring Alan Ladd, Hat Check Girl (1932), a pre-code find, Nicholas Ray's Johnny Guitar (1954), Jules Dassin's The Naked City (1948), On Approval, the only film directed by actor Clive Brook, and William Friedkin's Sorcerer (1977).

All in all, films of eight decades, beginning with the early '20s through the mid-'90s, will be presented - from Harold Lloyd's final film for Hal Roach, Why Worry? (1923) to Mr. Holland's Opus (1995) starring Richard Dreyfuss (who will appear in-person at the screening).

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) screens April 13
The festival is, for the classic film lover, 'an embarrassment of riches' and my only problem is that I want to see everything, and that's not possible.
 
On Day One, April 10, will I see the newly restored Oklahoma! (1955), with special guest Shirley Jones, or  Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962), with Charles Busch (actor/playwright/Bette Davis impersonator) in-person, or, possibly, American Grafitti with Candy Clark, Bo Hopkins and Paul LeMat as special guests? And later that night, I'll have to choose between between the new restoration of Johnny Guitar (presented by film historian Michael Schlesinger) and The Heiress (1949).

Day Two is even more daunting. In the morning, will it be The Thin Man or Stagecoach? In the afternoon, it's Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) vs. Invasion of the Body Snatchers vs. "A Conversation with Richard Dreyfuss" vs. "Ask Robert Osborne" and "A Conversation with William Friedkin." Later that evening, I'm determined to see Double Indemnity and The Innocents (1961), no matter what.

Jack Clayton's The Innocents (1961), starring Deborah Kerr, screens April 11

I'm hoping I'll be able to cover Jerry Lewis's handprint ceremony at Grauman's on the morning of Day Three, but if there's no room, I'll be forced to choose between Vincente Minnelli's Father of the Bride (1950) and Chaplin's City Lights (1931). After that, I don't want to miss "A Conversation with Thelma Schoonmaker," Martin Scorsese's Oscar-winning film editor (and the widow of legendary filmmaker Michael Powell), but I'll have to hustle to get from there to the screening of the Alan Ladd version of The Great Gatsby, which I don't want to miss. Then, in the early evening, another killer decision will to have to be made - The Beatles in A Hard Days Night, or Bell Book and Candle (1958) with special guest Kim Novak or Douglas Sirk's Written on the Wind (1956), or The Nutty Professor (1963), with special guest Jerry Lewis.

Dorothy Malone won an Oscar for her performance in Written on the Wind (1956), screening April 12

Day Four, the final day of the festival, still has a lot of "TBA" on the schedule, so I'm not going to think too much about that yet, tomorrow is another day...


16 comments:

  1. The TBA thing was driving me crazy for a while too. I just had to let it go. I keep telling myself it's going to be great no matter what I see! Your post definitely describes how I feel looking at that schedule though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a minute or two to get past feeling like an overwhelmed 'kid in a candy shop' before I calmed down and remembered that the festival will be a terrific experience no matter what films I see or what discussions/ exhibits/events I attend.

      Delete
  2. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane/Chrles Busch? Oh - PULEEZE go! That has got to be unforgettable! A chance to see Mel Brooks? City Lights? Oh my - I am overwhelmed and I'm not even going! Looking forward to some great reporting from you, Lady Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Charles Busch at "Baby Jane" is ingenious. It will be interesting to try to see and do as much as possible - AND report on it, too. I sincerely wish you were going to be there, FlickChick!

      Delete
  3. I will be attending vicariously through you, Eve! One thing I know -- I would definitely NOT miss the opportunity to see The Great Flynn in Robin Hood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I thought of you the moment I saw the film listed on the schedule - which will be preceded by a discussion of why "Robin Hood" is "the best adventure film ever made a classic." Will keep you posted.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your impressions of the festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll attend one year, Jacqueline, would love to meet you and share our impressions of the experience.

      Delete
  5. Lady Eve, I'm so looking forward to meeting you! As a 4th year gal, can I advise you to attend the ones with the OLDEST celebs. I bitterly regret not going to year one and meeting Esther Williams. Margaret O'Brien and Maureen O'Hara are not getting any younger and to hear their impressions is worth its weight in gold. As a press corps rep, you have the chance to jump OUT of one venue and change (unlike other fans there), so you might not be forced to stick around if one film palls. Plus, the TBA slots are generally filled with the films that were SO popular, there was a turn-away crowd, which means you MIGHT get a 2nd shot at some that were very full or very late in the schedule. See you soon!!! I'll be the very tall lady with the longish silver hair and the excited, happy expression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm positive I'd know you anywhere, and I can't wait to meet you. Thanks for the inside scoop on press corps privileges and the TBA slots.

      Delete
  6. Eve, I'm so excited for you! All the participants are well worth seeing, to say the least. I admit I'm especially interested in how my teen crush Richard Dreyfuss is coming along, especially since he's been overcoming issues of his own; I hope he's happy and well. Have a great time, you lucky gal! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorian, It's exciting to see that several generations of stars that will be on hand - from Maureen O'Hara to Margaret O'Brien to Richard Dreyfuss (and several of his "American Graffitti" co-stars, too) to Alec Baldwin. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Sounds absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to read your account of it. Have a wonderful time. So many people here will be with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin, and thanks. I wish the CMBA owned big, luxury tour bus (private jet?) so that we could take it around the country (the world?) and pick up all of our members and head to the TCM festival together.

      Delete
  8. Awesome job. For Sunday, I'm just hoping that some of the TBAs turn out to be ones, that I'm kicking myself over missing from the other days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was happy to find out that the Sunday TBAs are often repeat screenings of some of the most popular films at the festival.

      Delete